Thursday, April 4, 2013

Erich von Ludendorff bust by Ulrich Puchala


I have prepped the next bust in my on-going series of busts portraying famous individuals from Imperial Germany and Austria-Hungary during the First World War. This bust portrays Erich Friedrich Wilhelm Ludendorff in his role as "Quartermaster General" (appointed by von Hindenburg in 1916). This is a very nice bust sculpted by Ulrich Puchala and part of his wonderful line from this time period. I have included three portraits below that I feel depict his steely, sullen, sober and downright intimidating demeanor. The eyes are piercing and they would have made most officers and men wilt under their gaze. My challenge is to capture that look in the painting of this bust. I want harsh, crisp highlights and shadows to rule the tone of the piece as this will contribute to the strength of the portrait in my opinion.
 
 
 

The bust consists of three pieces, head and torso as well as the usual iron cross base. I tend not to use these bases as I think they are novel but distracting from the bust itself. The three photos below show the prepped and primed bust ready to start receiving paint.




No comments:

Post a Comment