Sunday, January 27, 2013

Alfred von Tirpitz - Update #1

So here we are at the end of January and I have been remiss in my postings on the blog. I am surprised anybody is still reading! Over the next day or so I will pay that attention off with an update of all the projects I have been working on as well as introducing a few new items to the mix. I have been busy with life but have made some progress, not nearly as much as I would have liked.
 
The first item in the queue is this bust of Tirpitz that Mr. Puchala has been more than patient in his waiting for the box art. I started the face during an evening of educational workshop painting at my local hobby shop Section 8 Hobbies here in Buffalo, NY. The evening was great fun and I always enjoy sharing my techniques with others.
 
As always, my usual mix was applied and highlighted, allowing this to dry before work on final highlights and shadows began. The first two photos show the head and hand in their half finished state.
 
 
 
Once dry I began adding shadows with Burnt Umber, Alizarin Crimson and Van Dyke Brown/Mars Black around the hairline/beard. The last mix was mixed variably with Titanium White to create the various tones of the early stages of his hair and beard. The black cap bill and band are a simple undercoat to define the space and help visualize the proper shading on his face.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment