Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Soldiers SR17 Prepped and Primed




OK so first let me say that these pics are posted in the wrong order. If you are following along you will need to work backwards to see my progress. Over these four pictures you can see the progress on this figure from the raw groundwork seen in my last post to the primed figure ready to be painted in the last picture.
After gluing the figure to the base with 5 minute epoxy I used white glue to affix very fine dirt with tiny rocks mixed in, where desired. Once dry I then used thinned white glue (50/50 mix with water) to attach a mixture of various manufacturer's "static grass" as well as some cut hemp rope.
I like to use washes to achieve a realistic effect on natural metal surfaces whenever painting a white metal kit. Standard household acrylic latex house paint was applied thickly to the areas that I wanted to mask off prior to priming and once dry the figure was primed with white automotive primer straight from a spray can. After the paint was dry the mask was removed from everything but the helmet. This area will be removed once the face has been completely painted. The final picture shows the figure all ready to begin painting. You will note that the groundwork is primed just like the figure so that the piece can be painted as a whole unit. I believe that the groundwork should receive the same degree of attention that the figure itself gets during the process.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this a lot lately, priming the groundwork with the whole model... there is so much to learn from you historic guys! Keep on happy painting! Regards Roman

    PS: I always wanted to try the same with a metal miniature, painting the metals with washes on a polished real metal basis, but didn't find the time yet nor the model, haha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many historical painters treat the groundwork like an afterthought. When I teach people I have them do it this way so that they will put as much thought into finishing the ground as they seem to put into the figure. I also feel that painting the figure this way makes a person think more about light and shadow than when the figure is on a working base.

    Give the metal work a try some time Roman. I have all kinds of ideas for you on these techniques.

    ReplyDelete